We’re excited to announce the launch of our new ELA 9 and Geometry courses designed primarily for ninth grade students. They come bundled together for unparalleled levels of practice to help with the challenge of beginning high school.
While students have been busy with the start of a new school year, we have been busy preparing new courses and app features for later in the fall. Our content team remains on track to launch 10th grade English and Pre-Calculus, and our engineers and staff have worked hard to bring Piqosity 2.0 online, which features an updated user interface, new features, and improved performance.
With these launches and our future roadmap, Piqosity is taking its place as the web’s leading e-learning platform for peer-normed, personalized math and English enrichment and remediation plus test prep for the ACT, SAT, and ISEE.
Registration for Piqosity’s premium courses takes less than 30 seconds and does not require a credit card. Join for FREE at the Community level, which includes access to a diagnostic test and limited practice material. Full course access starts at just $89, and tutors and teachers can save more than 50% when purchasing on behalf of their classes.
Improve 9th Grade Reading and Writing Skills
We designed the new ELA 9 course to help 9th grade students with both remediation and enrichment. This course heavily emphasizes improving reading skills through a diverse group of texts. We estimate that most 9th grade students will take around 40 hours to fully work through this material:
- Lessons on Reading & Writing Skills (30+ lessons)
- Close Reading Passage Practice Units (50+ passages)
- Full-Length Novel Walk-Throughs Units (2 novels)
Aligned to Common Core standards, the course is further divided into six genre-specific units:
- Unit 1 – Short Stories (16 at launch)
- Unit 2 – Informational Texts (16 texts)
- Unit 3 – Inquiry Topics (4 texts)
- Novel 1 – Romeo and Juliet (5 Acts)
- Novel 2.1 – Huckleberry Finn (43 chapters)
- Novel 2.2 – The Odyssey (16 excerpts)
This content can occupy eight grade students for a full academic year and is equivalent to 5 typical classroom books: Writing Handbook, Reading Manual, Anthology, Classic Novel 1, and Classic Novel 2.
Piqosity’s modular content is personalizable and can easily be spaced out across weekly study sessions:
- Study lessons sequentially by skill or only reference as-needed
- Work passages sequentially by genre or randomly as interest allows
- Read novels in their entirety from start to finish, pausing to work chapter-specific questions
Learn More About How to Use Piqosity’s English Language Arts (ELA) Courses
- Quick Start Guide to Improving Reading and Writing Skills with Piqosity
- Navigation Guide to Piqosity’s ELA Courses
Geometry Math Course
Our new Geometry course is targeted primarily at 9th grade students for enrichment, remediation, and test prep. Aligned to both Common Core and Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), the course is divided into 4 primary units:
- Introduction to Geometry & Proofs
- Congruent & Similar Figures
- Area, Volume, & Probability
At launch, there are currently 35 instructional lessons and nearly 1200 practice questions, which we think will take most 9th grade students about 40 hours to complete; this works out to a little over an hour of extra weekly practice in a standard 35-week school year.
Innovative Platform Features
These new ninth grade math and English courses are built on top of the same innovative and flexible platform as our ISEE, ACT, and SAT test prep:
Piqosity’s key platform features include:
Built for Tutors and Teachers
We built Piqosity not only to be user friendly for parents and students at home but also for the advanced needs of tutors and teachers. Key features for educators include:
- Student management including the ability to see everything the student sees
- Automatic scoring and analysis of all student work
- Assignments with due dates
- Custom Branding (tutoring companies and schools)
- Ability to upload your own questions and lessons
Since this winter, we have opened up our platform to enable any qualified educator to upload their own instructional content to Piqosity. This means that educators are able to create their own lessons and questions. They can share this content with all users or limit it to their own students.
A Mission to Rethink Education
Piqosity is a Houston-based education technology startup on a mission to rethink education and pique every type of student’s curiosity. One product launch at a time, we are on a journey to democratize education publishing and personalize student learning.